Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Discovery of Stickers

My 19-month-old has discovered the wonder which is stickers!  I think it's great...she really only sticks them on paper and then colors on top of them.  She has been making really interesting pictures lately and just seems like such an old child the way she does it.  She often lays on her stomach in the floor to draw and kicks her legs in the air.  I think it's adorable!

I am looking into a lot of art books aimed at the toddler and "preschool" set.  I need ideas!  Sometimes I'm just so unsure what she can handle at that age.  Being in an apartment I don't really feel like I can take a chance with making a huge mess!  I should probably try to set up an arty-park-day or something with other people....but that would take effort.  Blegh!

I have also been hitting up the library a lot too.  I have no clue why I didn't realize to look there before for picture books!  Duh, mommy!  I also want to try going to storytime....though the idea of taking my OWN CHILD is weird to me.  I guess before she was just a BABY and didn't DO anything...now that we're getting involved in actual ACTIVITIES it's like "wow....I'm a mom".  Weird thought! 

So, I realized today leaving the library that I need a library bag.  Growing up we used to go to the library constantly and usually checked out a massive pile of books each time.  For a homeschooling family, the library is a huge resource.  Of course now, we have the internet...but there's just nothing else like having a book in your hands.  I remember vividly the massive totes my mother would lug to-and-from the library...and I realized today that I need one of those myself.  I'd like to make one, I think.  And there needs to be a message on the outside....I think something about unschooling to pay respect to my mother's tote that has the homeschool group's logo on it.  I'm not exactly like her, but I still owe my current state to her in a lot of ways.  As I a friend earlier: "my mom opened the door to crunchiness....I just tore it down and burned it"

I saw a bumper sticker earlier that said "UNSCHOOLING: Live like school didn't exist!"  I like it....perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment